Outlook data file ".pst" failed to load for this session error when opening Outlook
Posted by Toufik Maafi (M-Files) on 28 August 2018 02:38 PM
What is happening?
When opening Outlook the following error message is shown:
CoMSOutlookApplicationEventSink.cpp, 497, Unspecified error. (The Outlook data file (.pst) failed to load for this session.) (0x80004005)
Why does this happen?
The possibility is that the pst file failed to load or that the file is locked by another process or has been corrupted.
It could also be a permission issue and access to the PST folder is no longer permitted for the user.
1) Launch Windows search bar and type "Control Panel" → Click on "Mail (32-bit) → Click on "Email Accounts..." → Go in "Data Files" tab and find "M-Files", click on it, choose "Settings..." and in Filename please input the location of your PST file.
By default the .pst is being stored at: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\M-Files_M.pst
2) Change the location of the PST file by adding a registry key.
Please completely close Outlook and add the following registry key:
Key Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Motive\M-Files\<version>\Client\MFOfficeAddin\
Key Name: MFilesPstFolderPath
Key Type: REG_SZ
Key Value: C:\file\path\here
- You may have multiple <version> entries at this level in the registry. You will need to define the currently installed version (likely the highest version listed).
- The key value needs to be the directory where you want M-Files to store the .pst file. Make sure that there aren't any permissions issues with the directory you define and that the user has read/write access there.
- Once the registry change has been made, when you reopen the Outlook application, the M-Files plugin will recreate the .pst file using the location specified.
If the issue still persists, contact M-Files Support at email@example.com for assistance.