Reset Windows10 Default Apps
2. Impacted Products and Versions
All M-Files versions.
Customers are unable to Check-Out documents within M-Files. Error, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."
4. Cause and Reason
Windows default apps changed during Office Update without human interaction.
5. Solution / Workaround
Check/Reset Windows Default Applications (Programs)
- Open Settings app
- Start Menu > Click Settings icon (click pic to enlarge)
- In Settings, Select Apps (or System > Default Apps) (click pic to enlarge)
- Choose Default Apps (click pic to enlarge)
- Click Reset for the Microsoft Recommended
- As an alternative, set the specific app based on File Type or Protocol
6. Reference Documentation
Windows10 Default Apps: windows-10-change-default-programs
Windows7 Default Apps: windows-7-change-default-programs