1 Overview / Work Notes
Sometimes M-Files support person can ask you to collect network logs using Wireshark which is required for troubleshooting network communication related issue for M-Files.
Wireshark can be downloaded from here: www.wireshark.org
2 Solution / Workaround
Wireshark is a standard network communication tool with good analysis option. In several scenarios Wireshark can be used to capture network logs. For example:
- If there are constant application connection breaks with M-Files client and server.
- The data transfer performance is slow into uplink or downlink.
- The M-Files client can't connect to the vault.
- M-Files server does not find SQL-server.
Collecting network log using Wireshark:
- Open Wireshark and press Ctrl+K which will open capture interface option. Select the correct network interface you want to trace if you have several network adapters.
- Press Start or CTLR+E to start capturing logs.
- Press Stop or CTRL+E for stopping logging.
- From the File menu select Save as and save the log in a desired location with file name in pcapng format.
- It is recommended to compress and encrypt the saved log file with WinZip/7z before sending it to M-Files support.
Fig: Capturing network logs using Wireshark